Started by Calavera
Banned Players 5 Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:02 pm
by THE_REAL
player swearing and cursing
Started by fidinhoOo
Banned Players 1 Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:26 am
by Insane

One-Shot Garand
Post new topic Reply to topic printer-friendly view Forum Index -> 475th 1.3 Servers
View previous topic View next topic

Get rid of one-shot Garand?
[ 4 ] [ 100% ] YES!!!!, It's Cheating!
[ 0 ] [ 0% ] No, I'm a noob and I love it.
Total Votes : 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
MagneticSkull
Can someone explain to me how this isn't cheating?

I can hit someone in the face with 3 BAR rounds (same bullet), yet they will still get the kill because they shot me in the foot, leg, arm, whatever spot that wasn't my head.

That mod makes me hate playing this game.  And this is my all time favorite game.
Maybe it's just time to take my computer to the gun range.   Sad

Corporal
Clan Member

Groups Corporal
Clan Member
Posts 37
Joined Apr 03, 2018
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send MagneticSkull a private message Find all posts by MagneticSkull
[475th^AR] Magn...
Currently Offline
Last Seen Online:
7 hrs, 0 mins ago

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Insane
Well, I believe that two perspectives should be taken into consideration when referring to the one-shot weapon mod.

1st Perspective: What is good for the Caen server
That mod has been active in the server for years, and many players are happy with it, because they found something different to other DoD servers. In my opinion, deactivating the one-shot mod could have a negative impact on the regular players' population of the Caen server.

2nd Perspective: Do we like the one-shot weapon mod?
Personally, like you, and even though my favorite weapon is the Garand rifle, I hate the one-shot mod. It gives people an advantage over other weapons that is not supposed to have. For this reason, some days ago, I sent a message to Merrill asking to bring back the custom server but without the one-shot weapon mod.

To conclude, I think, that for those who like the one-shot mod, it should remain active on the Caen Server. However, it would be great, for those we don't like the mod, to have a custom server with default weapon settings (without the mod).

Administrator
Clan Member

Groups Administrator
Clan Member
Posts 129
Joined Jun 05, 2018
Status Offline
Gender Male
[475th^AR] Insa...
Currently Offline
Last Seen Online:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
GTO_nut
Merrill ran a poll/topic of discussion   maybe a year ago and the 1 shot won...
I know
But its what we got  use it to yer advantage   K43 is same

http://www.dod475th.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=57

Major
Administrator
Clan Member
Donator to the 475th

Groups Major
Administrator
Clan Member
Donator to the 475th
Posts 217
Joined Mar 06, 2018
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send GTO_nut a private message Visit user's website Find all posts by GTO_nut
[475th^AR]G_T_O...
Currently Offline
Last Seen Online:
1 hrs, 40 mins ago

Most Played:
This week: 23.5hrs.
Total Played: 4,590hrs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
HerrKutt
Totally agree.  A custom server without the mod, with map rotation - including Caen -  and an RTV-style selector sounds good to me.  I think we would get some traffic to that.

We know the purpose of the mod is to give less-able players a fighting chance against better players, so it keeps traffic coming to the Caen server.  But personally my issue with the mod is that it creates a fundamentally unfair environment where the better players can run around racking up silly scores with the garand/k43.  Those modded weapons should be reserved for less-able players, and people at the top of the leaderboard should have to use stock weapons such as k98/enfield or the automatics.  People in the top 10/20/30/xx should not be able to use these modded weapons.

Obviously it's almost impossible to police that idea if it were to become a reality - so I know it won't.  It's just my opinion on the top players using one-shot rifles.  I dare say some of them are only near the top of the leaderboard because of that mod...  so it kind of makes a mockery of the points/leaderboard system.

I know it's all for a bit of fun, and it's just a game etc.  So it's all good :)

I support the idea of a stock, rotation server with a map-voting mechanism (and even it's own leaderboard?).  Over time I think we would get a good group of regulars going there for more of a challenge, while we can all keep dropping in on the Caen server to keep it ticking over (and for the MPs to MP it).  After all for many of us it was the Caen server (and it's group of regulars) that got us hooked back into DoD :)

*Salute*

HK

Commander
Clan Member
Donator to the 475th

Groups Commander
Clan Member
Donator to the 475th
Posts 422
Joined Mar 03, 2018
Status Offline
View user's profile Send HerrKutt a private message Visit user's website Find all posts by HerrKutt
[M|475|M] Herr ...
Currently Offline
Last Seen Online:
17 mins ago

Most Played:
This week: 14.4hrs.
Total Played: 1,759hrs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
KrazeeGreek
I agree

For years I have used the Bar and the Sniper rifles. On occasion, depending on the map I would use submachine guns.
After coming over to Merrills and seeing the disadvantage of using the Bar against the Garand I decided to try it and
see if I could master it. (I still haven not)
There is an unfair advantage to it but when others are using it in battle you do not want to be the guy taking a stick to a gunfight.

I miss using the Bar and running and gunning and I would go back to it in a minute if the Garand lost it's magic power and the playing field
was equal.

Major
Administrator
Clan Member
Donator to the 475th

Groups Major
Administrator
Clan Member
Donator to the 475th
Posts 282
Joined Mar 04, 2018
Status Offline
View user's profile Send KrazeeGreek a private message Find all posts by KrazeeGreek
[475th^AR]Kraze...
Currently Offline
Last Seen Online:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
MagneticSkull
Just about every one of the servers left running DoD seems to have one-shot now.  Sad
Apparently it's good for attracting new players that don't want to learn how to play a game.

I joined Caen the other day, and every single person on Allies was Rifleman.

Could we, at the least, limit the number of Garands in-use per team?

Corporal
Clan Member

Groups Corporal
Clan Member
Posts 37
Joined Apr 03, 2018
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send MagneticSkull a private message Find all posts by MagneticSkull
[475th^AR] Magn...
Currently Offline
Last Seen Online:
7 hrs, 0 mins ago

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
PiratePete
— MagneticSkull wrote
Can someone explain to me how this isn't cheating?

I can hit someone in the face with 3 BAR rounds (same bullet), yet they will still get the kill because they shot me in the foot, leg, arm, whatever spot that wasn't my head.

That mod makes me hate playing this game.  And this is my all time favorite game.
Maybe it's just time to take my computer to the gun range.   Sad

Hi MS, fun playing with you on Avalanche.

sometimes it works the opposite, don't know how many times I miss shots with garand when they're in my face or missing 3 rifle butts... thinks it's more of a reg thing (Ayla)

what I find annoying is getting killed with BAR from across the map, like there is no recoil with that one  Wink

*Salute*
Pirate Pete aka Boy George aka Scott

First Lieutenant
Donator to the 475th

Groups First Lieutenant
Donator to the 475th
Posts 119
Joined Mar 05, 2018
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send PiratePete a private message Find all posts by PiratePete
CybotronR9
Currently Offline
Last Seen Online:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Sandy
Hey MS,

About 6 weeks ago, I asked Merrill about this. His response, in a nutshell, is that the mods aren't going away, camping isn't going away, and that I should look to move to Source. He is going with the popular vote in this and I understand the need to keep the server going. I hated Source but hate all the mods/campers we have on the Caen server even more. Although I'm not prepared to take my PC to the shooting range, the game is uninstalled, I haven't played for several weeks, and am not sure if/when I'll play again.

As with you, this is my favorite game and have played it since 2005 of so. But the good players have all but gone and we are left with those who, as you say, have no desire to learn to play the game or veteran players, who out of necessity, end up using the Garand.

Bragging on a player who I have a lot of respect for (there are others so don't feel left out), is KRAZEEGREEK. When he first started playing on our servers, he almost always used the BAR. I thought he was every bit as good as Merrill. Today, due to the number of players who "own" with the Garand, has put him in a place where he more often than not, uses the Garand. Why? He can answer this better. I'd say that he doesn't like to lose, tries to keep his team moving forward because he understands that the game is about winning and you win by capturing the flags, but is at a disadvantage when using the BAR vs the Garand. So, the Garand becomes the weapon of choice.

We've tried rotation servers without the mods but the server is rarely populated. Some it may be due to the lack of mods, but I suspect is is more because of the poor choice of custom maps. As you may recall, back in the old days we made it mandatory for members to populate the other servers. That isn't in place any longer and only a few members ever played on the rotation sever on a regular basis.

I'll keep an eye out and if you're able to get the server you want, you may just spot me in there.

Best of luck.

Major
Administrator
Clan Member
Donator to the 475th

Groups Major
Administrator
Clan Member
Donator to the 475th
Posts 209
Joined Mar 02, 2018
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send Sandy a private message Visit user's website Find all posts by Sandy
Sandoval
Currently Offline
Last Seen Online:
3 days ago

Most Played:
This week: 0.2hrs.
Total Played: 255hrs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
NYC1
im for making it more realistic so no 1 shot wonders for me. speaking of realistic, how about realism? the 29th used to do realism and u couldnt get in.

Corporal
Clan Member
Clan Member
Donator to the 475th

Groups Corporal
Clan Member
Clan Member
Donator to the 475th
Posts 46
Joined Mar 21, 2018
Status Offline
Gender Male
View user's profile Send NYC1 a private message Send NYC1 an email. Visit user's website Find all posts by NYC1
misty9spyder ny...
Currently Offline
Last Seen Online:

Post new topic Reply to topic printer-friendly view Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1